A Few Things I Learned Today in Visual Studio Code

I opened up Visual Studio Code today with an intent to use it for all my editing, documenting, and coding today. My priorities today, on a day I’ve taken off from work, is to work on my upcoming Terraform Course, a little Go coding, and also a few general tasks and notes. While I work on these priorities, you dear reader, get the benefit of my random notes. 😉

Continue reading “A Few Things I Learned Today in Visual Studio Code”

South Sound .NET Users Group + AWS, Visual Studio, Toolkits, and Explosions!

If you live in or around the south sound region near Olympia, would like to hear about the AWS Toolkit and SDK for Visual Studio, come and check out the South Sound .NET Users Group on at Olympia Center, 222 Columbia NW, Olympia, Washington.  The meeting will be on January 12th at 7:00pm.

Slides & Links to Code are already available!

Overview:  During this presentation I will provide an overview of what is needed to get started using Visual Studio 2010 with the AWS Toolkit & SDK. We’ll also cover the basic design ideas behind the do’s and don’ts of cloud architecture and development. There will be some hands on coding (if you’d like to bring a laptop to follow along) and we will deploy code (pending a wireless/cat5 connection) into AWS Cloud Services & get EC2 instances up and running live!

First Looks @ AWS Toolkit for Visual Studio 2010

I’ll be presenting on the AWS Toolkit for Visual Studio 2010 in the very near future (Check out the SAWSUG Meetup on October 12th, that’s this Wednesday). I’ll be covering a number of things about the new AWS Toolkit for Visual Studio. My slides are available below (with links to the Google Docs and Slideshare Versions).

Direct link to Google Docs Presentation or the SlideShare Presentation.

The code for the presentation is available on Github under AWS-Toolkit-Samples. Beware, this code will be changing over time, the core will stay the same though.

NxBRE Integration and Visual Studio Team Server Strangeness

So after a far longer process than I originally had planned on (fortunately I had saved a ton of time by using a prebuilt solution such as NxBRE) I acheived a building integration of the NxBRE Project into the primary Visual Studio Solution.  No particular fault of NxBREs it is just that some of the references and other items got fubared when moved across.  That leads me to…

…Visual Studio Team Server’s Source Control would NOT let me just add the project.  I’m not sure what the deal was with that, but it was determined.  What I had to do in the end was literally do a manual creation of a project and name it the same, then add all the files as one would existing code files.  After working out the bugs everything seems hunky dory.  Gracious though it was a bit of excessive work that I didn’t really need to focus on at this time.

Now that this is done I intend to in the next few days create some examples and stick them up on the site in relation to utilizing NxBRE.