Whew, it’s been a total blast working at Basho. I’ve accomplished a ton of things. Riak is a solid distributed database system and I’m glad to have worked with the team on advocating its use, teaching distributed systems ideas and concepts and generally spreading the knowledge. I’ve seen some truly great things that people are hacking together, setting up for projects and redesigning old systems to utilize newer, better, faster and more capable distributed systems concepts and ideas. Some of the things I’m happy to have contributed to in my time at Basho.
- Wrote a couple blog entries on the Basho blog
- …and a few right here related to my work at Basho
- Back in the BOSH Bunker
- Using Bosh to Bootstrap Cloud Foundry via Stark & Wayne Consulting
- Backup Riak – Learning About Distributed Databases :: Issue 001
- Consistent Hashing – Learning About Distributed Databases :: Issue 002
- Distributed Coding Prefunc: Up and Running With Erlang
- Distributed Coding Prefunc: Installing QuickCheck for Great Testing
- Distributed Coding Prefunc: Ubuntu Erlang Dev & EUnit
- I helped negotiate and get an effort started that came to fruition with Tier 3 releasing a Riak CS backed object store for their customers. A very cool feature added to their already formidable enterprise cloud offerings. Read more about that here “Tier 3 Object Storage” and here “Tier 3 Launches Global Object Storage“. Their implementation is really nice, including many geographic regions of accessibility, S3 API compatibility and high end storage capabilities that offer a bigger punch of performance than your average object storage in the cloud!
- I launched both the Seattle Riak (up to 52 members now!) and Portland Riak (up to 74 members now!!) groups started, which you should join, they’re a good time, good conversation and great information.
- I partnered with Troy Howard @thoward37 to run the second year of Node PDX. Basho was excellent enough to contribute not just a few bucks but also sent Chris Meiklejohn @cmeik out to speak at the conference.
- I worked with the Google team to get the awesome Tyler Hannan over to the Google I/O Conference onto the Google I/O Data Panel. The panel was solid, thanks to Tyler @tylerhannan, @juliaferraioli and the Google Team for making this happen!
- I got to work directly with a number of people at Windows Azure, AWS and EngineYard in deploying Riak, testing out how the respective images (azure VM Depot & AWS AMI) and deployments (Riak EDS) would work. In the end, this has been a great opportunity to learn more about the latest and greatest of each of these services. I’ve been impressed as they’ve each been doing a seriously kick ass job lately!
- Had a blast working on the New Relic Riak Plugin with Drew Kerrigan for the recently released New Relic plugin ecosystem. Code is also available via the Github Basho Riak Plugin repo.
…and there has been a whole lot more. Suffice it to say, Basho has provided me with some sweet opportunities to work on some extremely interesting data projects from a very data sciency point of view (yeah I know sciency aint a word). There may be more Riak work and Riak meetups and Riak hacks and Riak who knows what coming from me, but the meetups & such are now at the hands of the core Riak crew and…
Where Am I Headed?
Right now, I’m moving 20 blocks away from where I currently live, setting up a couch to hack on and grabbing a beer. I’ve got a few personal projects I’ve been wanting to work on. Then I’m taking a few weeks to do some side projects that have been on the burner. Keep an eye out, I’ll be kicking off one, maybe two of these open source projects in the next few days. As @tsantero twitted…
i wish i had the time to work on even 5% of the ideas in my notebook :
— Tom Santero (@tsantero) August 17, 2013
…I’m going to attack my own notebook of ideas. Maybe I’ll even work on that Riak CS Video object store that Tom and I spoke about 10 months ago? Either way, whatever the projects are, I’ll have them posted right here. Until then…
Cheers & Happy Hacking!
4 thoughts on “Farewell Basho, It’s Been Swell Yo!”
You’re a king. A fucking king.
Thanks! Now where did I put that kingdom of mine?! 😮
Comments are closed.